Medical record review consultant in plastic surgeryPlastic surgery is a branch of medicine that involves repairing or reconstructing the body’s appearance or normal function. Both cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries can only be performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon, such as Dr. Thomas Zaydon of Plastic Surgery Institute of Miami. After a significant amount of experience and with the appropriate qualifications, a plastic surgeon consultant like Dr. Zaydon are often requested to provide medical record reviews. Medical record reviews can be requested by patients, attorneys, insurance companies, or any other healthcare organizations. On this page, we will explain what a medical record review is and the different types of review that we provide.
What is a medical record review? What is its purpose?A medical record review refers to the accurate analysis of a patient’s medical records to provide useful information relevant to their case. This evaluation may be used both in the medical and legal fields and may be requested for different purposes:
What type of documents are examined in a medical record review?The term “medical record” refers to a patient’s documented health history. However, the types of documents examined will depend on the purpose of the review. For example, a medical record review for attorneys is different from one used in medical claims management. Generally, here are some of the most common documents a plastic surgeon consultant evaluates in a medical record review:
- Information about the patient’s medical history, physical reports, social history, and diagnosis.
- Old and current list of the patient’s medications
- Clinical reports and assessments performed by other medical specialists.
- Laboratory tests, X-rays, pathology slides, fetal strips, etc.
- Authorization and letters of consent.
- Facility records and standard operating procedures.
How does a plastic surgeon perform a medical record review?Once all documents have been gathered, a plastic surgery consultant will review the evidence to make informed conclusions. They can seek out key information needed by their client, get answers to specific questions, or identify malpractices and deviations from standard care. It all depends on the client and the purpose of the medical record analysis. Some of the medical record review services Dr. Thomas Zaydon provides include the following:
- Organizing and interpreting complex medical records, such as physician’s notes and medical abstracts,
- Actualizing a medical chronology to give an overview of the timeline of key medical events (e.g., date and time of a specific treatment’s administration or operation procedure).
- Creating medical case summaries to describe the standard of care, diagnosis, severity and nature of the injury, treatments administered, and other pertinent information.
- Analysis of medical issues, causation assessment, and identification of mitigating factors.
- Sorting and categorizing all medical documents.
Who can perform a medical record review?An experienced plastic surgery consultant can perform a medical record review in medical and legal cases where plastic surgery is involved. A plastic surgeon consultant, like Dr. Zaydon, has a high level of expertise in the field of cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. With their extensive clinical knowledge and experience, they can assist general practitioners by providing specialized care and treatment to their patients. They can also practice their consultancy on the legal side of the fence, acting as an expert witness, independent medical examiner, or medical advisor.
Dr. Thomas Zaydon – Medical Record Review for Plastic SurgeryIf you’re a patient, lawyer, or insurance adjuster in need of a medical record review consultant, then you’re on the right page! With over 20 years of experience as a board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Thomas J. Zaydon has provided outstanding IMEs, EMAs, and expert testimonies in medico-legal claims. His expertise allows him to provide a thorough and accurate medical record reviews. Besides medical record analysis, Dr. Zaydon also offers other medico-legal plastic surgery services such as:
- plastic surgery independent medical examination
- plastic surgery consultant
- plastic surgery peer reviews
- plastic surgery expert witness